Friday, August 14, 2009
Looks Like Leather - Tutorial
In yesterday's post, I showed you a "leather" wallet that I created for a friend's birthday. You can see that post HERE. The look of leather is really simple to achieve. All you need is brown cardstock and a dark brown ink. For this project I used Chocolate cardstock from Close to My Heart and Vintage Photo Distress Ink from Ranger. This technique uses water on cardstock which causes the paper to curl and shrink slightly. It is helpful to have a Cuttlebug, Wizard or Sizzix to flatten the paper.
1. Spritz cardstock lightly with water. Do not saturate.
2. Crumple and carefully unfold cardstock. Repeat until desired distressed effect is achieved.
3. If you wish to emboss, now is the time. Using your Cuttlebug or other machine, emboss cardstock. Once embossed, crumple and unfold cardstock.
4. Allow cardstock to dry.
5. Sponge a dark brown ink over your cardstock. Ranger’s Vintage Photo Distress Ink was used here. Black Soot Distress Ink was sponged on some of the edges for further detail.
6. In order to flatten your cardstock, run cardstock through Cuttlebug again between two plates or place under a flat, heavy object (yellow pages anyone?).
7. To achieve the shiny leather look, paint with a light coat of Modge Podge Gloss-Lustre and allow to dry.
8. Use for your project.
acrylic paint All Dressed Up Altered Items Anniversary Aurora Wings Baby Baby Shower bezels Bind-it-All Birthday Blog Hop Bookmark Bridal Shower card CardMaker Cards CAS2011fallDT CFC Challenges Ching Chou Kuik Christmas Communion Congratulations Cooking Copic Cricut Cricut Art Philosophy CTMH CTMH News CTMH Stamps Digi Stamps Digital Paper Distress Inks Distress Paint Dylusions Easter Elizabeth Bell Embossing Engagement Fall Fancy fantasy Father's Day Favors fl Flower Soft Flower Soft Blog Hop Flower Soft Display Globes Flower Soft Downloads Flower Soft molds Flower Soft Stamps Flower Soft Toppers Flower Soft Wires Friendship gelli prints General Get Well Gift Card GinaK Designs Giveaway Glimmer Mist Graduation Gratitude Halloween Heartfelt Creations Heartfelt Creations Alumni DT Heartfelt Creations DT Hero Arts Home Decor Hostess Gift Ice Resin Impressabilities Impression Obsession In the Pink Invitations jewelry JustRite Kara's Corner keychain Kool Tak La La Land Love Mabel Lucie Attwell Make it Monday Mardi Gras Masculine Media Mixage Memory Box dies MFT Mini Album Miss You Mitzi Sato-Wiuff Mixed Media MLK modeling paste Mojo Monday Mother's Day Moxie Fab Music My Favorite Things My Mind's Eye Nestabilities Our Daily Bread Designs Paper Crafts Paper Piecing Passover Patriotic Peachy Keen Penny Black Photoshop Polka Doodles PPinkyDolls Project Pea DT PTI Blog Hop PTI Dies PTI Stamps Publications Recipes resin Sale Saturated Canary Scrapbooking Shabby Chic Shapeabilities Silk Acrylic Glaze Silks Simply Betty Sizzix Dies Sketch Slinky Tart Slinky Tart DT SNSS Spellbinders Spring St. Patrick's Day Stamp Camp Stampendous Stamping Stamping Chef Stationery stencil Sugar Pea Designs Summer Sweet 'n Sassy Sweet Pea Stamps Sympathy Tags Teacher Templates Thank You Thanksgiving The Stamps of Life Thinking of You Tiddly Inks Tim Holtz tips TSC DT TSOL TSOL DT Tutorial Valentine Vellum Video Vintage Want2Scrap Water Color WCMD Wedding Winners Winter Workshops and Classes WPlus9